Inside All Saints Church September 4th 1965

Why do it?

This walk takes you past the 13c deconsecrated church of All Saints in the centre of old Stratfield Turgis and on to the 18c church of St Mary the Virgin at Stratfield Saye, two buildings with very different architectural styles. It is a gentle flat walk winding over fields and lanes crossing the river Loddon.

Why do it?

See a beautiful 13c Church and follow the river Loddon across fields and water meadows. It is fairly flat with a few stiles, but can be boggy in places.

The weather was beautiful for the Stratfield Turgis Summer 2014 village walk. This took a different format allowing for 2 shortish loops with a picnic in the middle.

Situated in a beautiful location beside the Loddon,  All Saints has seen better days. Now deconsecrated all of the important items including beautiful stained glass windows and font were moved to St Mary's Hartley Wespall.

The date of the original building is unknown, but there is evidence of the existence of a timber-built Nave in the 13th century, possibly the, oldest example in the South of England. Much of the woodwork is notable.

 The church is a brick building in the shape of a Greek cross, and was built by George Pitt, afterwards Lord Rivers, in 1784.

Rectors of All Saints', Stratfield Turgis