Rate this item
(0 votes)

In 1086, the date of the Doomsday Survey, the manor of Stratfield Turgis (listed as Stradfelle) was held by Aluric from Hugh de Port ("TERRA HVGONIS DE PORTH ... Ipse H ten. STRADFELLE et Aluric de eo . Aluric tenuit de rege E ...").  The overlordship continued with the de Ports and their descendants, the St. Johns, for a considerable time.


The name of Stratfield Turgis (or Turges) derives from its origins on open land (feld) by the roman road (stret) from Silchester to London and the Turgis family, who held the manor of the de Ports and St. Johns from as early as 1270, although not much is known about the Turgis family.

The descent of the manor is a little obscure but in 1539 it returned to the St. John family who, in 1551, were also given the title of Marquis of Winchester.

In 1636 Sir William Pitt of Stratfield Saye bought the manor, which since that date has followed the same descent as Stratfield Saye. (Last purchased by parliament in 1814 from Lord Rivers and presented to the Duke of Wellington). His tombstone lies inside All Saints Church. Next to the church the old manor house of Stratfield Turgis had a moat but the present Turgis Court Farm dates from the eighteenth century.Pictur of All Saints

The thirteenth century Church of All Saints is a small flint structure; the bell turret was added in 1683 and provided with a single bell.  Part of the former nave and chancel were destroyed by fire in 1791 and were rebuilt by local workmen in 1792.  The rest of the church was restored in 1901.

Samuel Loggon, author of an extremely popular schoolbook called "M. Corderii Colloquia", and one-time master of the Holy Ghost School at Basingstoke, was Rector of 'Stratfield Sturgis' from 1746 to 1748.  When he died in 1778 he was, at his own request, buried in a sawpit in the churchyard. He was one of a number of famous rectors of the parish.

The nearby public house, The Wellington Arms, is indicative of the close connection of the village with the descendants of the Iron Duke, whose seat is at neighbouring Stratfield Saye.

  On the banks of the River Loddon is a fishery, which dates back to the sixteenth or seventeenth century. This timber framed and brick building is a fine example of the long history of the area and its relationship to the landscape.
Read 1412 times
More in this category: Old Maps »