St Mary's Stratfield Saye

Rate this item
(0 votes)
St Mary's St Mary's

 The church is a brick building in the shape of a Greek cross, and was built by George Pitt, afterwards Lord Rivers, in 1784.

It was dedicated on 1 September 1758 by John Thomas, Bishop of Salisbury, by permission of Benjamin Hoadley, then Bishop of Winchester. It consists of a chancel, a nave, and north and south transepts, with a north organ chamber, and a west portico, and over the centre of the building is a low octagonal tower with a slated cupola. The exterior is very plain, with roundheaded brick windows and a brick cornice; but the proportions are not unpleasing, and the three arches of the west portico have a good effect

 

Login to post comments